Interesting People mailing list archives

more on Gonzales Pressures ISPs on Data Retention

From: David Farber <dave () farber net>
Date: Sat, 27 May 2006 19:43:28 -0400

Begin forwarded message:

From: mis () seiden com
Date: May 27, 2006 9:18:39 AM EDT
To: David Farber <dave () farber net>
Cc: ip () v2 listbox com
Subject: Re: [IP] Gonzales Pressures ISPs on Data Retention

for ip, if you'd like, but please anonymize:

i'm working as an expert on several cases of posession and
distribution of child porn.

one of the cases if of an individual who apparently offered free shell
accounts and web space.  one of his users offered child porn on an IRC
channel to be fetched by ftp from his site.  the key question will be
was he a bona-fide ISP, but also his retained logs of connections
should show he didn't do it.  i sure hope he retained logs.  (in this
case, the connections occurred not long before the postal inspectors
showed up at his house and took away all his servers).

in another case, it is apparent that the accused's aol account was
compromised and used by several third parties (or would that be "third
through nth") over a long time to distribute child porn.  the very
limited IP address history the govt has been able to extract from AOL
is exculpatory but only covers a brief period.  (an unlucky defendant
would have experienced no intrusions during the period which was logged).

        but also, somewhat off-topic:
        the govt is relying on the fact that a few of these images were ON HIS
        HARD DRIVE,  and how did they get there, unless he downloaded them or
        solicited them?

        it turns out there's a lovely convenience feature in recent AOL
clients. if you view a piece of mail with an image attachment, the image
        is downloaded to your hard drive automatically, and it stays there
EVEN AFTER YOU DELETE the mail. handy for keeping those bar mitzvah pics
        or your newborn cousin.  not so handy if someone sends you child porn
with no subject line (as these were) and you happen to click on it on the
        way to the trashcan.

my main point here is that good logs can be useful in preventing wrongful prosecution by the govt or in raising an adequate defense (and more difficult without them).

particularly these days when child pornographers are sophisticated
enough to not use their own accounts or machines for their activities.
run unpatched software? choose a weak password? it could happen to you.

isn't it sad when we think about the benefits of surveillance to protect us
against our government?  it's not supposed to work this way.