Interesting People mailing list archives

Backer of ISP snooping slams industry

From: David Farber <dave () farber net>
Date: Thu, 4 May 2006 06:14:23 -0400

Begin forwarded message:

From: Richard Forno <rforno () infowarrior org>
Date: May 3, 2006 7:57:47 PM EDT
To: Dave Farber <dave () farber net>
Subject: Backer of ISP snooping slams industry

...while a noble goal that I support -- protecting children and jailing
those who prey on them in any environment -- does anyone else think "online predators" and "child pornography" is becoming the justification rationale
for lawmakers to do whatever they want on the Internet?   IIRC in recent
months, the MPAA/RIAA was saying P2P was responsible for kiddie porn in
their latest attempt to control the net, too.

Calling Mrs. Lovejoy....

-rf

Backer of ISP snooping slams industry

By Declan McCullagh
http://news.com.com/Backer+of+ISP+snooping+slams+industry/ 2100-1028_3-606833
9.html

Story last modified Wed May 03 16:27:38 PDT 2006

WASHINGTON--Congress' leading proponent of forcing Internet service
providers to retain records about their users' activities lashed out at the
industry on Wednesday, saying such a federal law will be a "very minor
burden" to bear.

Rep. Diana DeGette, a Colorado Democrat, said at a House of Representatives hearing that new laws were necessary to thwart child pornographers and other Internet predators. Investigations into illicit behavior have been hampered
because data may be routinely deleted in the normal course of business,
DeGette and other data retention proponents claim.

"This created havoc among the Internet service provider community," DeGette said, referring to her proposed legislation announced last week (click for PDF). "I am horrified that the provider community is not working with us on this because it seems to me to be a very simple piece of legislation and I'm
going to continue to fight for it."

< ... >