Interesting People mailing list archives

more on Net isn't ready for the video revolution | IndyStar.com

From: David Farber <dave () farber net>
Date: Mon, 15 May 2006 14:53:19 -0400

Begin forwarded message:

From: Karl Auerbach <karl () cavebear com>
Date: May 15, 2006 2:42:27 PM EDT
To: dave () farber net
Subject: Re: [IP] Net isn't ready for the video revolution | IndyStar.com

David Farber wrote:

*Net isn't ready for the video revolution*
High-definition programming could clog the Internet, major providers say

There's not much to be done about oversubscribing - which is what the article describes - except to perhaps wonder why these "providers" are allowed to a sell a loaf of bread yet deliver a slice. Vendors of other kinds of goods and services would find themselves on the wrong side of the legal 8-ball if they were, for example, to be delivering a liter of gasoline when the buyer buys a gallon.

But back to video and bandwidth and bits:

When we built IP/TV a decade ago we used IP multicast, if it was available, to move DVD+ quality video. Yes we filled a few links, but with IP Multicast we rarely rarely placed more than the burden of a single instance of a video stream onto any wire.

IP multicast works. It's been around for decades. There is support for it in most ISP-grade routers. (But it's not easy to manage or troubleshoot.) There are two major classes of IP multicast:

- every member to every member. Good for conferencing, bittorrent-like transfers, etc.

- one source to every member. Good for single source streaming video, alarms, etc.

IP multicast kinda faded from view because it was never universally deployed.

There are reliable streaming and file transfer mechanisms for IP multicast. So there'd be no need for pseudo-multicast mechanisms like bittorrent.

                --karl--