Interesting People mailing list archives

more on "Whistleblower" is not a mere neologism

From: David Farber <dave () farber net>
Date: Mon, 15 May 2006 10:34:46 -0400

Begin forwarded message:

From: "Rabkin, Eric" <esrabkin () umich edu>
Date: May 15, 2006 10:32:20 AM EDT
To: dave () farber net
Subject: RE: [IP] more on "Whistleblower" is not a mere neologism

Dave, words clearly matter: "traitor," "patriot," "whistleblower."
Minor in the current instance but major in general is attention the full
sense and history of a word:

Neologisms are objectionable when they simply express a
concept more poorly than a pre-existing word -- "detrain" is
thus a poor substitute for "disembark."

Not so.  "Disembark" means "undo embarcation" and "embarcation" means
"enter a boat [bark]," as in San Francisco's famous Embarcadero (an
otherwise rare word in English, although not rare in Spanish, for
wharf).  "Detrain" is as specific today as "disembark" once was, before
there were trains or planes from which to "disembark."  (See how odd
that word now sounds?)

Three points, then.  First, technological change fosters linguistic
change.  It is silly to "dial" a telephone these days, yet we still do,
and will until we all eventually choose among "touch," "push," "press,"
or some other option.  ("Press" seems to me in the lead, but if "button"
technology moves quickly toward "touch screens," "touch" is likely to
win.)  We now speak of "analog watches" where once we spoke simply of
"watches" only because the invention of "digital watches" prompted that
disambiguating coinage by analogy.

Second, the range of a word and its history represent enormous cultural
riches we all potentially share.  "Whistleblower" overlaps in denotation
with, say, "muckracker" and "witness."  But "whistleblower," with its
connotation of stopping crime or other improper activity and especially
in large organizations, carries with it the policeman's whistle once
often used to halt supposed miscreants and the factory whistle once
often used to end--and begin anew--work shifts.  The policeman has a
duty to blow the whistle; the worker the inside knowledge willy nilly.
The "muckraker" on the other hand comes unbidden from outside (we
usually associate this word with journalists) and the "witness" suggests
no personal involvement in the acts.  "Whistleblower" is a rich word.
One may prefer others in this instance, but that preference should be a
matter of one's understanding of the action, not of the word itself.

Third, the current debate, not about "disembark" versus "detrain" but
about "traitor," "patriot," and "whistleblower" underscores the place of
language as a crucial tool of sociality.  The current political issue
arises from actions that I find literally egregious.  (These spying
individuals have surreptitiously and philosophically separated
themselves from the generality [flock, Latin grex] of Americans.) But
the heat of concern for this political issue should not move us to
ignore all the other words we use.  Getting our words right both guides
politics and enables poetry.  Protecting our language, as Orwell
understood, protects us.  I'm glad IPers care.

Eric

Eric S. Rabkin              734-764-2553 (Office)
Dept of English             734-764-6330 (Dept)
Univ of Michigan            734-763-3128 (Fax)
Ann Arbor MI 48109-1003     esrabkin () umich edu
http://www-personal.umich.edu/~esrabkin/