Interesting People mailing list archives

more on Whistleblower outs NSA's secret spy room at AT&T

From: David Farber <dave () farber net>
Date: Mon, 15 May 2006 08:41:47 -0400

Begin forwarded message:

From: Suresh Ramasubramanian <suresh () hserus net>
Date: May 15, 2006 3:49:05 AM EDT
To: dave () farber net
Cc: Gene Spafford <spaf () cerias purdue edu>
Subject: Re: [IP] more on Whistleblower outs NSA's secret spy room at AT&T

Spaf and Dave, I was watching CNN where they were interviewing a former CIA head, who was talking about the CIA whistleblower who was fired a few months back.

He pointed out that while leaking any classified information to the press is a definite no no, there are plenty of avenues for whistle blowers, such as approaching the senate / congressional committees that have oversight over Intelligence. He also mentioned another internal grievance handling channel that could have been used.

These committees are bilateral, and do take action more often than not - according to what I heard on CNN (and based on what I have read about these committees and how they work)

        suresh

From: Gene Spafford <spaf () cerias purdue edu>
Anyone with a security clearance, a military commission, or Federal office swears an oath to uphold the Constitution and the laws of the United States. If that person observes activity that he/she judges to be violations of the Constitution committed under color of authority, then how can the oath be upheld without possibly disclosing information? Given a choice between upholding the Constitution or being compliant with orders intended to cover up violations of law seems to be clear although potentially fraught with personal danger.