Interesting People mailing list archives

more on more on COMMENTS REQUESTED -- Apparent large telco liability based on USA Today facts

From: David Farber <dave () farber net>
Date: Fri, 12 May 2006 15:43:42 -0400

Begin forwarded message:

From: David Bolduc <bolduc () austin rr com>
Date: May 12, 2006 3:41:08 PM EDT
To: Dave Farber <dave () farber net>
Cc: Randall <rvh40 () INSIGHTBB COM>
Subject: Fwd: [IP] more on COMMENTS REQUESTED -- Apparent large telco liability based on USA Today facts

More from Our Man Friday, still cyber-marooned.

Begin forwarded message:

From: Randall <rvh40 () insightbb com>
Date: May 12, 2006 2:28:31 PM CDT
To: David Bolduc <bolduc () austin rr com>
Cc: Simon () higgs com

[David: Could you forward this to Dave Farber for me?  Thx]

Begin forwarded message:

From: Simon Higgs <simon () higgs com>
Date: May 12, 2006 2:06:24 PM EDT
To: dave () farber net
Cc: Peter Swire <peter () peterswire net>
Subject: Re: [IP] COMMENTS REQUESTED -- Apparent large telco
liability based on USA Today facts

Dave,

Here's your answer:

(iii) the customer's consent;

If you look in the fine print of the contract, you'll find that
customers consent to this as part of their terms of service. If they
don't agree to this, they don't get service.

Nope.

From Cingular's TOS:

"Under federal law, you have a right, and we have a duty, to protect the confidentiality of information about your telephone usage, the services
you buy from us, who you call, and the location of your device on our
network when you make a voice call. This information is sometimes
referred to as "Customer Proprietary Network Information," or "CPNI." We
share CPNI and other personal information about you with affiliates of
AT&T and BellSouth Corporation (the parent companies of Cingular) that
provide telecommunications services to which you also subscribe. Before
sharing CPNI in any other way, we will first notify you of your rights
under the law, describe how we intend to use the CPNI, and give you an
opportunity to opt out of such usage (or, when required by law, to opt
in)."

==
My original Writing blog: http://itgotworse.blogsource.com