Interesting People mailing list archives

Scheiber - Polling Too Fairly?

From: David Farber <dave () farber net>
Date: Fri, 12 May 2006 15:10:33 -0400

Begin forwarded message:

From: David Bolduc <bolduc () austin rr com>
Date: May 12, 2006 1:32:56 PM EDT
To: johnmacsgroup () yahoogroups com, Dave Farber <dave () farber net>
Subject: Scheiber - Polling Too Fairly?

Useful formatting and pointers in original.

http://www.tnr.com/blog/theplank?pid=17176

THE WASHINGTON POST'S OVERLY FAIR POLL QUESTION:

At first glance, I'm a little surprised by the results of this snap Washington Post poll on the recently disclosed NSA phone-record- monitoring program. Sixty-three percent of respondents deemed the program acceptable, only 35 percent didn't. My expectation would have been that, in light of the NSA eavesdropping revelations from a few months ago, just throwing the words "NSA" and "phone" together in the same sentence would have gotten a good 45 percent of the country riled up.

When I actually look at the poll question, though, the result makes a little more sense. Here's how the Post put the question to people:

It's been reported that the National Security Agency has been collecting the phone call records of tens of millions of Americans. It then analyzes calling patterns in an effort to identify possible terrorism suspects, without listening to or recording the conversations. Would you consider this an acceptable or unacceptable way for the federal government to investigate terrorism? Do you feel that way strongly or somewhat?

Now, that's unquestionably a fair way to characterize the program. But that's precisely why I wouldn't put too much stock in the results. The average voter isn't going to have the program patiently explained to them by some pollster. When they decide which party to vote for, they may well be unaware that the NSA only analyzes patterns of calls without listening to the conversations. All that many voters will know is that the NSA is up to some slightly sketchy stuff; they'll probably have a vague sense that it was also up to some sketchy stuff a few months earlier. Of course, that doesn't mean voters will be upset about it. Just that, somewhat paradoxically, the better test of whether they're upset isn't a poll laying out the program with all sorts of conditions and qualifications. It's a poll that comes closer to testing the glib description of the program they're likely to hear from Democrats (another Bush administration intrusion on your privacy) and Republicans (another Bush administration attempt to capture terrorists).* My hunch is this poll would produce results a lot closer to 50-50.

--Noam Scheiber

*I think a reasonably revealing poll question would be something like: We've learned that the NSA monitors the phone records of ordinary Americans in order to help hunt down terrorists. Do you support that program?