Interesting People mailing list archives

more on what does this say re calea? AT&T's 1.9-Trillion-Call Database

From: David Farber <dave () farber net>
Date: Mon, 6 Mar 2006 09:23:21 -0500

Begin forwarded message:

From: Gabe Goldberg <gabe () gabegold com>
Date: March 5, 2006 9:52:59 PM EST
To: dave () farber net
Subject: Re: [IP] AT&T's 1.9-Trillion-Call Database

The database may go back decades but it's hardly comprehensive going forward, lacking multiple other long-distance carriers, cellular (including anonymous prepaid) calling, VoIP calling, computer-to- computer connections like Google Talk, and cheap/anonymous calling cards. I use a Costco calling card that costs $0.029/minute and isn't the cheapest available. If I pay cash for it and don't recharge it, it's not directly linked to me. (Hm, well, unless they track it from my Costco membership number! But such cards are available for cash at non-membership stores.) If I don't ever use it from a phone linked to me, it remains anonymous.

All in all, calls are recorded in many disjoint databases. And people seeking to be anonymous, or simply using technology or services which by default anonymize, won't be tracked.

He was alluding to databases maintained at an AT&T data center in
Kansas, which now contain electronic records of 1.92 trillion telephone
calls, going back decades.
--

Gabriel Goldberg, Computers and Publishing, Inc.          (703) 204-0433
3401 Silver Maple Place, Falls Church, VA 22042        gabe () gabegold com