Interesting People mailing list archives

more on for Californians AB 2231 Emergency alerts

From: David Farber <dave () farber net>
Date: Fri, 31 Mar 2006 16:24:50 -0500

Begin forwarded message:

From: Bob Frankston <Bob2-19-0501 () bobf frankston com>
Date: March 31, 2006 4:14:47 PM EST
To: dave () farber net, ip () v2 listbox com
Cc: Paul Saffo <pls () well com>
Subject: RE: [IP] for Californians AB 2231 Emergency alerts

Are the messages sent to the phones based on where they are or the bill
goes?
Can anyone explain how sending the alerts cost them money? If they don't
understand the difference between what they charge customers and their
non-costs then we should worry about their ability to run a company.
Getting out emergency messages may be the least of their problems. Those
who accept that argument shouldn't be in the position to set policy.
That said, the real solution is to provide connectivity and make it easy
for the devices to get messages based on alert criteria such as being in
the path of a tornado (as determined by GPS and/or the proximate access
points)