Interesting People mailing list archives

worth reading more on .sig file I just received]

From: Dave Farber <dave () farber net>
Date: Thu, 02 Mar 2006 13:35:45 -0500

-------- Original Message --------
Subject: Re: [IP] more on .sig file I just received
Date: Thu, 02 Mar 2006 12:02:03 -0500
From: Gene Spafford <spaf () cerias purdue edu>
To: dave () farber net
CC: ip () v2 listbox com

I am neither associated with the "left" nor the "right."   I prefer
to apply thought to my decisions rather than accept political
parties' views or politicians' pronouncements of what is correct.

In that regard, I value the US Constitution, and have, in fact, sworn
an oath to uphold and defend it under several circumstances.

Eavesdropping on citizens without legal authorization or judicial
review is a violation of the law, and of the Constitution.

Open-ended detention and torture of human beings, no matter what
their offenses, is a violation of law, enacted by treaties ratified
by the Senate, in accordance with the Constitution.

There are other examples from current news that illustrate violations
of the law and the Constitution.   What is disheartening is that
these are being sanctioned -- and committed -- by other individuals
who also swore to uphold the Constitution and ensure that the laws of
the United States are enforced.  Furthermore, large numbers of our
elected representatives are ignoring or excusing this behavior
because they are beholden to political parties and financial donors,
rather than feeling a duty to the country.

To those who dismiss this as "left-leaning", then try to objectively
ask yourself -- would you have the same reaction to these actions if
the current President was Bill Clinton?  Pat Robertson?   If you
would find the actions objectionable only if committed by someone
else, then you are blinded by politics.    And if you find the
actions objectionable no matter who committed them, then hoping for
impeachment and indictment of the guilty parties is not a conclusion
based on political ideology.  But dismissing them by ascribing them
to political ideology probably is.