Interesting People mailing list archives

$ Broadband in France

From: David Farber <dave () farber net>
Date: Thu, 30 Mar 2006 08:07:10 -0500

Begin forwarded message:

From: Jeffrey Joslin <jj () joslins net>
Date: March 29, 2006 6:54:49 PM EST
To: dave () farber net
Subject: Re: [IP] Broadband in France

Dave,

Coincidentally enough, I was just in a discussion on another list a few weeks ago on the subject of US Broadband speeds and rates relative to faster cheaper access in Asian and European markets, and I went ahead and scouted out the current rates in the French market:

<snip>

NOOS, France's main cable company, currently offers the following:

10Mbps NOOS NET service at 24,90 €/month ( = $30.35/month US) for 1st 12 months, then it goes up to 24,90 €/month ( = $42.56/month US), but you can always re-sign for next deal the following year once initial contract is up.

http://www.noos.fr/main.php?offre=noosnet&page=10meg

4Mbps plan same price as 10Mbps, but price goes up to
  29,90 €/month ( = $36.46/month US) after initial 12 months contract

1Mbps NOOS NET same price as 10Mbps at 24,90 €/month ( = $30.35/month US), but price does not increase after 12 month contract is up.

What's more, they mention on the page linked above there that they are in the process of rolling out 20Mbps service in new zones every day (so to speak), but I wasn't able to cheat the page id at the end of the "page=20meg" in the url to find out any pricing info. However, I am guessing a mere additional 5 €/month ( ~ $6/month US) based on major competitors existing offerings below.

On to the primary ADSL competitors....

Wanadoo, state-owned incumbent France Telecom's DSL service, currently has the following:
18Mbps ADSL service at 29,90 €/month ( = $36.46/month US)
 8Mbps ADSL service at 24,90 €/month ( = $30.35/month US)
 1Mbps ADSL service at 19,90 €/month ( = $24.27/month US)
http://www.wanadoo.fr/bin/frame2.cgi?u=http%3A//abonnez- vous.wanadoo.fr/index.php%3Fdams%3Dc_HD%26_ph%3D2

Also, I was able to find the shockingly low-priced, high speed service availability at Neuf Telecom:

20Mbps ADSL for 14,90 €/month ( = $18.16/month US)
http://www.neuf.fr/offres/43/45/47.html

So that's France for ya.

</snip>

Seeing all these consumer- and innovation-friendly leaps being made in France, Germany, Scandinavian countries, Korea, Japan etc. (migrations to 20Mbps and 40Mbps services priced around $40/month to customers) really drives home just how much our domestic market and regulatory environment has us stuck with companies still soaking up the most they can out of the existing 1.5/384 (or maybe 5.0/784) broadband service marketplace for the near future, and only some chance for a select few to get faster service via FTTP (Verizon FIOS, for example).

At once, it is both the new age of bandwidth-ravenous consumer demand...
  - explosive growth of new services like VOIP
- huge pushes in consumer electronics industry for ever-higher megapixel photo and digital video products, meant to be shared online or by email, feeding publish-yourself content to the likes of ofoto/ Kodak, Shutterfly, Flickr, Google Video, YouTube etc.
  - next-generation networked applications
- broader and more frequent audience for online video news/sports/ entertainment media
  - online broadband gaming services for game consoles and PCs

...as well as a time when I have witnessed many ISPs (often DSL or T1 providers) balk at demands for higher speeds, asserting that no one with any legitimate uses in mind will ever need more than a few hundred Kbps upstream, and a few Mbps downstream.

All those new electronics producing ever-larger files, and all those much cheaper/bigger/faster hosting plans on the web (or free posting sites), and yet the main conduit at your curb sees no need for speed beyond older assumptions for email and basic html+images web browsing.

Kind of reminds me of similar arguments about MB hard drives years ago. (who would *ever* need so much space? :)

Well, at least other countries are leaping ahead, and perhaps at some point that will have the effect of finally shaking things up at home in a meaningful way (especially now that Telecoms can leap into all services like the Cable companies have had for some time now). Better, faster, cheaper, stronger. True apples-to-apples competition (or close enough..) will hopefully drive infrastructure investment and consumer incentives just like the ones now in place overseas, and give the consumer better choices.

jeffrey

jeffrey joslin
president

dev::impact
   525 broadway, 2nd floor, new york, new york 10012
     (office) 646.435.7878 (fax) 646.485.4068 (cel) 646.245.8800
       (email) jeffrey () devimpact com  (web) www.devimpact.com