Interesting People mailing list archives

Google wireless patents

From: David Farber <dave () farber net>
Date: Tue, 28 Mar 2006 18:59:22 -0500

Begin forwarded message:

From: Brett Glass <brett () lariat org>
Date: March 28, 2006 6:22:28 PM EST
To: dave () farber net, Ip ip <ip () v2 listbox com>
Subject: Google wireless patents

Dave:

Apparently, Google has been hard at work attempting to patent obvious features that might be used in advertising-sponsored public access wireless systems. The article at

http://news.com.com/Google+employees+wireless+patents+published/ 2100-1038_3-6054310.html

lists three of the patents.

We've been doing similar things for many years at the wireless hotspots we set up for local businesses, such as cybercafes. And we're far from the only ones. Such techniques have been used by many folks long before the filing dates of the patents. We never would have imagined that anyone would try to patent such things, especially given all of the prior art. And we find it hard to imagine that none of the patent examiners had ever encountered such techniques at wireless hotspots -- unless, perhaps, they had never used one.

Is Google being evil yet?

--Brett Glass