Interesting People mailing list archives

more on Network management and control (was: "Re: more on 1972 ARPANET Film ...")

From: David Farber <dave () farber net>
Date: Mon, 20 Mar 2006 08:24:07 -0500

Begin forwarded message:

From: Karl Auerbach <karl () cavebear com>
Date: March 19, 2006 9:21:52 PM EST
To: lauren () vortex com
Cc: David Farber <dave () farber net>
Subject: Re: [IP] Network management and control (was: "Re: more on 1972 ARPANET Film ...")

From: Lauren Weinstein <lauren () vortex com>

... but in terms of the sort of "network management and control" that Suzanne mentioned, we've moved seriously backwards -- perhaps to the edge of a potential operational abyss in some significant ways.

One concern that is rarely, if every, discussed is how our drive to secure this and DRM that is creating a situation where, if the net is ever broken, it could be very difficult to reassemble (especially as we construct ever more intricate dependencies between the net and other infrastructures like the phone system and power grid.)

My own particular concern is what happens to communities that suffer human or natural disasters and have the people, competence, equipment, and electrical power to start locally rebuilding their communications infrastructure but find that they can not do it because due to security and DRM locks they simply do not have the power or authority.

Living as I do in a place that far too frequently seems to receive nature's wrath (earthquake, fire, flood, landslide, large ocean waves, nutcase who likes to dynamite power towers ... ) we've come to learn that when things go south it's going to take a while before the outside notices and is able to dig its way in. So we've learned the value and necessity of recovering from the inside out.

In that spirit, several years ago I proposed to ICANN the possibility of "DNS on a CDROM" (now "DNS on a DVD") - essentially Knoppix (CD/ DVD based Linux, no hard disk required, shove it into a PC, even a Windows PC, and boot) with a runnable DNS server that had a skeletal, but usable DNS hierarchy from root to com/net/org/.... ICANN pooh- poohed it without discussion, I think because of the source of the idea as opposed to the merits of the idea.

But that's not my main point.

For a long time I have argued that we need to start looking at the internet as a distributed process rather than a collection of individual machines. And in that distributed process we need to start understanding the pathology of that system and not merely devise tests, but also creating test points, so that we can find problems and repair them.

See my talk "From Barnstorming to Boeing - Transforming the Internet Into a Lifeline Utility" at:

  http://www.cavebear.com/rw/Barnstorming-to-Boeing.ppt

with the notes at

  http://www.cavebear.com/rw/Barnstorming-to-Boeing.pdf

                --karl--