Interesting People mailing list archives

Network management and control (was: "Re: more on 1972 ARPANET Film ...")

From: David Farber <dave () farber net>
Date: Sun, 19 Mar 2006 20:09:01 -0500

Begin forwarded message:

From: Lauren Weinstein <lauren () vortex com>
Date: March 19, 2006 7:58:02 PM EST
To: dave () farber net
Cc: lauren () vortex com
Subject: Network management and control (was: "Re: more on 1972 ARPANET Film ...")

Dave,

Let's be even more explicit.  When I was reviewing the film
yesterday, I too noted and remembered fondly the presence of the
ARPANET NCC (Network Control Center) that lived at BBN.  Real people
with a real phone number to call for network-related problems.

OK, let's fast-forward some decades.  True, the Net's just a bit
bigger now, and it's no longer possible to remember all of the host
addresses or to have a concise and readable 8 1/2 by 11 inch map
tacked to the wall showing every site and network backbone connection.

But one might imagine that the modern Internet -- which we're
continually told is absolutely *vital* to commerce, national
security, and the continued rotation of planet Earth -- would have
*at least* the level of responsible and verifiable "command and
control" (however widely distributed it would need to be today) that
we had back then.  Yeah, we don't want an Internet "God" ruling the
whole thing.  But now spammers and other crooks use and dispose of
domain names as if they were toilet paper.  Domain registrars
encourage sites to hide their basic contact information (usually for
an extra fee, of course).  And much of the other contact information
in the "whois" domain databases is obviously bogus.

We've come a long way baby, but in terms of the sort of "network
management and control" that Suzanne mentioned, we've moved seriously
backwards -- perhaps to the edge of a potential operational abyss in
some significant ways.

--Lauren--
Lauren Weinstein
lauren () vortex com or lauren () pfir org
Tel: +1 (818) 225-2800
http://www.pfir.org/lauren
Co-Founder, PFIR
   - People For Internet Responsibility - http://www.pfir.org
Co-Founder, IOIC
   - International Open Internet Coalition - http://www.ioic.net
Moderator, PRIVACY Forum - http://www.vortex.com
Member, ACM Committee on Computers and Public Policy
Lauren's Blog: http://lauren.vortex.com
DayThink: http://daythink.vortex.com

 - - -

Begin forwarded message: