Interesting People mailing list archives

more on open source tax credit

From: David Farber <dave () farber net>
Date: Sat, 18 Mar 2006 15:22:45 -0500

Begin forwarded message:

From: Dana Blankenhorn <dana () a-clue com>
Date: March 18, 2006 3:13:22 PM EST
To: dave () farber net
Subject: Re: [IP] open source tax credit

http://blogs.zdnet.com/open-source/?p=597

An open source tax credit?
Posted by Dana Blankenhorn @ 10:25 am
Digg This!

John Irons and Carl Malamud (right), both fellows at the liberal Center for American Progress think tank, have developed a proposal they call the Open Source Tax Credit.

The idea is that corporations can write-off their work developing software in many ways, but individuals can't. And they should.

While I hate to look a gift horse in the mouth, I think this thing is mis-named. Corporations developing open source tools can already get the write-offs. The problem Irons and Malamud are addressing is that individuals can't write-off their research time, regardless of whether they are writing open source or proprietary code.

Where open source may come into play is where you decide to create a company to gain those write-offs from your work in open source. You can't claim to run a company if all it does is lose money.

But is that really a problem? Doesn't the open source business model work for everyone? After all, if you get some consulting income or freelance work because of your open source development efforts, having a corporation would let you shield that money from taxes, making your time a cost of doing business.

Corporations are cheap to create. There are folks in Nevada who create them for a living, and you need not move there to get the benefits. (No state taxes, either.)

So is this a solution in search of a problem? Or does this idea make sense to you?