Interesting People mailing list archives

more on The French Are Struggling Alright!

From: David Farber <dave () farber net>
Date: Tue, 14 Mar 2006 15:29:56 -0500

Begin forwarded message:

From: Stanton McCandlish <smccandlish () rogers com>
Date: March 14, 2006 2:43:30 PM EST
To: dave () farber net
Subject: Re: [IP] The French Are Struggling Alright!

This is all seems kind of pointless and silly.
http://www.versiontracker.com (or any other shareware index) already
provides plenty of apps, for Windows and Mac, that un-DRM and convert
the iTunes Music Store "protected" .m4a AAC audio files to regular
.m4a's or .mp3's.  And yes, they do work; I've done this successfully
myself, and felt compelled to after I was unable to recover music I'd
bought once from the Apple online music store, after a disc crash; I
can now back up everything to files that don't phone home or do
anything weird, and they also play on my Windows laptop when I have
reason to use that thing.

Has anyone ever been prosecuted for using or making these tools?  Do we
really need another law, in France or anywhere, regarding this issue,
other than a partial repeal of the U.S. DMCA?