Interesting People mailing list archives

Why do They want to keep him from testing the voting machines?

From: David Farber <dave () farber net>
Date: Tue, 13 Jun 2006 19:41:15 -0400

Begin forwarded message:

From: Dewayne Hendricks <dewayne () warpspeed com>
Date: June 13, 2006 9:05:39 AM EDT
To: Dewayne-Net Technology List <dewayne-net () warpspeed com>
Subject: [Dewayne-Net] Why do They want to keep him from testing the voting machines?

[Note:  This item comes from reader Randall.  DLH]
From: Randall <rvh40 () insightbb com>
Date: June 12, 2006 6:36:50 AM PDT
To: Dave Farber <farber () cis upenn edu>, Dewayne Hendricks <dewayne () warpspeed com>, JMG <johnmacsgroup () yahoogroups com>

<http://htdaw.blogsource.com/post.mhtml?post_id=345838>

Monday, June 12, 2006 at 9:34 AM EDT
Sancho Will Fight Proposed Rules That Would Limit Testing Of Voting
Systems In Florida
By Warren Stewart, VoteTrustUSA

June 11, 2006
According to an article in the Tallahassee Democrat, Leon
County Elections Supervisor Ion Sancho (pictured at right) will
challenge a new proposed rule that would severely restrict the ability
of election supervisors from testing the equipment they use to
administer elections. Sancho has no problem with notifying the state of
testing but doesn't feel the the state should be able to refuse his
right to test equipment or dictate the terms of testing.

"I don't, for the life of me, understand why they want to do something
like this," Sancho said Saturday. "I have no problem with notifying
them, but I don't think I need their approval."

Last year, Sancho allowed computer security experts to demonstrate in a
test election that election results could be altered undetectably. The
demonstration sent shock waves across the country and resulted in many
states issuing increased security procedures in an attempt to mitigate
the security vulnerabilities it revealed.

The article reported that:

        Sancho said he will attend a public hearing in the R.A. Gray
        Building at 1:30 p.m. Monday to discuss a pending rule change.
        He said the new rule would require a representative of the
        Department of State to be present whenever a county runs a test
        on voting machines.

Sancho has had long-running disputes with big national companies that make elections equipment. He contends that county elections
        offices should be allowed to test their balloting machinery
        anytime they think there might be bugs.

        Sancho said the hearing Monday is only the first step in the
        rule-making process, but he intends to fight it all the way.

<http://www.votetrustusa.org/index.php? option=com_content&task=view&id=1384&Itemid=113>

Weblog at: <http://weblog.warpspeed.com>