Interesting People mailing list archives

UK Report on "Digital Rights Management"

From: David Farber <dave () farber net>
Date: Sun, 11 Jun 2006 14:28:10 -0400

Begin forwarded message:

From: Brian Randell <Brian.Randell () ncl ac uk>
Date: June 9, 2006 7:07:57 PM EDT
To: dave () farber net
Subject: UK Report on "Digital Rights Management"

Hi Dave:

The UK's Houses of Parliament's All Party Parliamentary Internet Group has just issued a report "Digital Rights Management", which can be found at:

http://www.apig.org.uk/current-activities/apig-inquiry-into-digital- rights-management/DRMreport.pdf

From its Summary of Recommendations:

#65 We recommend that the Government consider granting a much wider- ranging exemption to the anti-circumvention measures in the CDPA for genuine academic research.

#86 We recommend that when the advice from the Legal Deposit Advisory Panel has been received, the Department for Culture, Media and Sport hold a formal public consultation, not only on the technical details, but also on the general principles that have been established.

#92 We recommend that the Department for Culture, Media and Sport review the level of funding for pilot projects that address access to eBooks by those with visual disabilities; and that action is taken if they are failing to achieve positive results.

#105 We recommend that the Office of Fair Trading (OFT) bring forward appropriate labelling regulations so that it will become crystal clear to consumers what they will and will not be able to do with digital content that they purchase.

#113 We recommend that the OFT labelling regulations we proposed, in #105 above, should ensure that the risks are clearly spelled out, at the point of purchase, whenever consumers could lose access to digital content if systems are discontinued, or devices fail, or players are replaced by systems from a different manufacturer.

#118 We recommend that OFCOM publish guidance to make it clear that companies distributing TPM systems in the UK would, if they have features such as those in Sony-BMG's MediaMax and XCP systems, run a significant risk of being prosecuted for criminal actions.

#132 We recommend that the Department of Trade and Industry investigate the single-market issues that have been raised with us, with a view to addressing the issue at the European level. We accept the argument that other industries may soon find their markets distorted by DRM systems and so we recommend rapid development of the principles by which the single market can continue to operate effectively.

#135 We recommend that the government do NOT legislate to make DRM systems mandatory.

#147 We recommend that the Department of Trade and Industry revisit the results of their review into their moribund "IP Advisory Committee" and reconstitute it as several more focused forums. One of these should be a "UK Stakeholders Group" to be chaired by the British Library. It should specifically address the complex issues surrounding DRM, not just from the point of view of experts on the technology, but with a wide-ranging membership that includes representatives of consumers, libraries and the creators of content - as well as the 'usual suspects' from the rights holders and content distribution industries.

Some other snippets:

#135 We recommend that the government do NOT legislate to make DRM systems mandatory.

--
School of Computing Science, University of Newcastle, Newcastle upon Tyne,
NE1 7RU, UK