Interesting People mailing list archives

who are they spying on?

From: David Farber <dave () farber net>
Date: Sat, 10 Jun 2006 07:36:39 -0400

Begin forwarded message:

From: Bob Perdriau <bobp () marketwriter com>
Date: June 9, 2006 11:24:29 PM EDT
To: David Farber <dave () farber net>
Subject: who are they spying on?

"I'm tempted to pack it in. It appears that a substantial percentage of the members of this list quite sincerely believe that we're in no danger. In essence, they want the US government to do little or nothing about Islamist terrorism. And with those who think this way, there's really not much to talk about."

Hiawatha, I have read every communication on this thread. I do not get the same message you do. I think you have started a conversation (which you intended) but you do not like the result. Nobody on this thread has said we are in no danger. Period. The message has been that there are trade offs between security and freedom. Between freedom and control. There are risks involved in this trade-off. This should be nothing new to Americans. Risk is part of being American. We trade security for freedom. That is just the way it has to be and should be.

I think you have received the benefit of some really good thinking on the part of some very smart people by asking your questions on this list. Do with it what you will in your reporting but do not denigrate it for the advice is much better than you should expect.

I'd say that you are asking a lot of a list to fully address such a complicated issue. As I mentioned the other day there are a number of sources that address this complicated issue in the depth it needs. Take the time to read them. Please.

Bruce Schneier at:
http://www.schneier.com/blog/

See also his essay on "The Value of Privacy":

http://www.schneier.com/blog/archives/2006/05/the_value_of_pr.html

and Glenn Greenwald at:

http://glenngreenwald.blogspot.com/

Also, read Glenn's new book "How Would A Patriot Act"

http://tinyurl.com/n35uy

Note: While you and I might consider this email to be a personal and private communication, you should be aware that its contents, and those of any reply, are liable to be scrutinized by the United States Government in an illegal wiretapping program authorized by President George W. Bush. I suggest you take care not to use inflammatory words or phrases, such as TERRORIST, REVOLUTION, AL QAEDA, ISLAMIC FUNDAMENTALIST, IMPROVISED EXPLOSIVE DEVICE, NUCLEAR WEAPON, etc.