Interesting People mailing list archives

more on Microsoft responds re Windows XP update vs. spyware

From: David Farber <dave () farber net>
Date: Thu, 8 Jun 2006 13:58:38 -0400

Begin forwarded message:

From: John BARTAS <Jbartas () speakeasy net>
Date: June 8, 2006 2:45:04 AM EDT
To: dave () farber net
Subject: [IP] more on Microsoft responds re Windows XP update vs. spyware

Dave:

For IP, if it's not too off-topic:
--------------------
I'm a sometime attendee at the Silicon Valley SDForum security Sig, a monthly meeting of computer security professionals - researchers, consultants and IT folks. (Great event, link below) At the beginning of each meeting,the organizers review what's news in computer security, and what current best security practices are. One ongoing recommendation is to make sure your Windows patches are current.

About a year back one participant volunteered that he found the Windows updates to actually be destabilizing to his windows systems - that once he has a Windows system working decently, he disables the auto-updates; and relies on third part security software instead of patches. I chimed in "me too", as did several others.

The facilitator called for a show of hands - how many of the seventy or so computer security experts present allowed Windows auto- updates on their systems, and how many did not. About 90% did not. Like Bob Rosenberg, I had heard about XP's phone home "feature" when it first came out. I keep a home network monitoring tool on my nets that logs every IP site visited, and the XP->Microsoft packets stood right out. I let it do it's thing until the first time it trashed my system. I then blocked it - Not just "turned it off", but blocked the IP address and domain name in my hardware firewall.

So far there have been no ill effects. The two XP systems I had when I started blocking each ran for over two years. Never had a virus, never got "Windows bloat", where the system gets slower with age. A few times the XP laptop I had tried to update when I took it traveling and forgot to turn on the software firewall. I think an IPv6 stack got activated that way.

Last year I replaced my laptop, and the new one had a newer XP. Since it was stable, I again blocked the phone home. So far,so good.

I'm not in a huge hurry to dump windows. I just want a system that works. Windows 2K is close enough - it only crashes about once a month. But because of Microsoft's hubris about giving the customer what Microsoft wants (this phone home is IMO spyware) rather than what the customer wants, I've simultaneously been alert for for alternatives. I'm now using Linux (Currently Ubuntu) for some software development, multimedia, and web browsing. OpenOffice 1.1.3 is finally ready for prime time, and now does all my text & spreadsheet work, even on my new XP laptop. There are still nits (someday I'll code a word count feature for OpenDocument), but the only reason I still have XP is because 1) the laptop came with it, and 2) my kids love "The Sims".

I don't mind paying $50 or so for a decent OS, but the idea of "renting" software that tells me what I can and cannot do is abhorrent. Does anyone know if "Win4Lin" runs the Sims?

-JB-

SDforum link:
http://www.sdforum.org/SDForum/Templates/Level1.aspx?pid=10111&sid=7