Interesting People mailing list archives

I've found a perfect new member for the EU. If only it were in Europe

From: David Farber <dave () farber net>
Date: Thu, 29 Jun 2006 07:51:44 -0400

Begin forwarded message:

From: Brian Randell <Brian.Randell () ncl ac uk>
Date: June 29, 2006 7:02:12 AM EDT
To: dave () farber net
Subject: I've found a perfect new member for the EU. If only it were in Europe

Dave:

An article in today's (UK) Guardian provides a perspective on Canada (and Europe) that probably differs interestingly from anything in the US media, so is perhaps suitable for IP.

cheers

Brian

http://www.guardian.co.uk/Columnists/Column/0,,1808157,00.html

I've found a perfect new member for the EU. If only it were in Europe

Canada shares nearly all the values of the new Europe - as well as the most characteristic of its weaknesses

Timothy Garton Ash in Toronto
Thursday June 29, 2006
The Guardian

Driving through Toronto earlier this week I saw a shiny black 4x4 with an English flag sticking out of one side window and a German flag out of the other. Presumably a Canadian family of mixed English and German origin, so rooting for both teams in the World Cup. A little later I saw a car with the Portuguese flag on one side and the Italian on the other. It occurred to me that this pretty much sums up what we've been trying to achieve in Europe since the second world war. Welcome to the European Union - in Canada.

In fact, why doesn't the European Union invite Canada to join at once? In most respects it would be a much easier fit than Ukraine, let alone Turkey. It effortlessly meets the EU's so-called Copenhagen criteria for membership, including democratic government, the rule of law, a well-regulated market economy and respect for minority rights (Canada's a world-leader on that). Canada is rich, so would be a much- needed net contributor to the European budget at a time when the EU has been taking in lots of poorer states. One of Europe's besetting weaknesses is disagreement between the British and the French, but on this the two historic rivals would instantly agree. English-speaking Canada would strengthen the Anglophone group in the EU, Quebec the Francophone.

Take the list of things that many Europeans consider to be most characteristic of us - by contrast with the United States. We Europeans believe that the free market should be tamed by values of social justice, solidarity and inclusiveness, realised through a strong welfare state. We don't have capital punishment. We believe that military force should only be used as a last resort and with the sanction of international law. We support international organisations. We love multilateralism and abhor unilateralism. We tend to think that men and women should be able to live more or less as they please with whomever they please, irrespective of gender and sexual orientation. We pride ourselves on our diversity. Check, check, check. Welcome to Canada.

. . .

This mildly amusing thought experiment - Canada as EU member - has a serious point. To look at Canada and its values is to understand how foolish it is to try to define Europe by reference to an allegedly unique set of "European values". Values matter, but these European values are shared by most Canadians more than they are by many Europeans. And many of these values are also shared by Americans in the liberal blue states of the US.

Yet another thing Canadians and Europeans have in common is an obsession with the United States, and with distinguishing themselves from it, often by crude stereotyping. A Canadian writer observes that his compatriots "love to yell about how modest we are". Just like today's Europeans. Canadians and Europeans enjoy wallowing in a sense of moral superiority towards the imperial hyperpower, while doing rather little to improve the world outside their borders. Canada's defence spending, at around 1.2% of GDP, is low even by European standards. (Among Nato members, only Luxembourg and Iceland spend less.) So is its foreign-aid budget, a mere 0.27% of GDP in 2004 - despite the fact that it was the Canadian statesman Lester Pearson who more than 30 years ago proposed what has become the UN target of developed countries spending 0.7% of GDP on foreign aid. There is the arrogance of power, but there is also the arrogance of impotence.

Yet this impotence is self-imposed. The potential power - military, economic and soft - of the established liberal democracies outside the US is enormous. The three largest sets are the democracies of Europe, most but not all gathered in the EU; the Anglosphere/ Commonwealth democracies, including Australia, New Zealand, Canada (intersecting with the Francosphere), South Africa and India (the world's largest democracy); and the Hispanosphere and Lusosphere democracies of Latin America. Between us, we have a combined GDP much larger than that of the US, as well as natural resources and specific strengths that the hyperpower cannot match. Instead of sitting round like a bunch of poor cousins, complaining all the time about the behaviour of the rich American uncle, we should be thinking what we ourselves can do to make a difference beyond our shores.

. . .

--
School of Computing Science, University of Newcastle, Newcastle upon Tyne,
NE1 7RU, UK