Interesting People mailing list archives

more on more on Andrew Tobias on Flag Burning

From: David Farber <dave () farber net>
Date: Wed, 28 Jun 2006 17:31:06 -0400

perhaps to the Bill of Rights and our freedom

Begin forwarded message:

From: "Munro, Neil" <NMunro () nationaljournal com>
Date: June 28, 2006 4:55:53 PM EDT
To: dave () farber net
Subject: RE: [IP] more on Andrew Tobias on Flag Burning

Just a few minor questions;

Given that complaints about the constitutionality of a properly
accomplished constitutional amendment are logically ridiculous (Here's
the short version; The constitution specifically allows the Senate to
forward amendments to the states), then I'd like to ask;

Is the dislike of a flag-burning amendment powered by opposition to the
amendment's moral claim - that our personal freedom of expression should
be limited for the good of the collective?

Is the dislike of the amendment powered by fear than any victory by the
collective-faction will lead to more victories by that faction and thus
result in practical, tangible limits on our freedom of expression?

Is the dislike of the amendment powered by a desire not to grant even a
symbolic victory to another sector in society, in this case, to the
socially conservative Republican voters?

Neil