Interesting People mailing list archives

more on AT&T and HIPAA

From: David Farber <dave () farber net>
Date: Wed, 28 Jun 2006 10:24:54 -0400

Begin forwarded message:

From: Bob Gellman <bob () bobgellman com>
Date: June 28, 2006 9:59:54 AM EDT
To: Latanya Sweeney <latanya () LAB privacy cs cmu edu>
Cc: David Farber <dave () farber net>
Subject: Re: Farber's List posting

Interesting. I agree that changing business practices may undermine the concept of a conduit. But I am not sure that there aren't better ways to deal with some of your examples.

First, the maintenance of shipping logs (let's leave aside the prospect for Internet data retention requirements) may not be enough to create a problem. Keeping the logs is one thing. Using them to derive data on consumers for some other use is something else. I presume that all package delivery companies have logs, which they probably keep for some significant period of time. I don't see that as troublesome from a health privacy perspective. As long as the information is not used in some inappropriate way by the company, then the OCR test still works. In any event, asking USPS or UPS to treat a class of packages (and their attendant records) differently from all other packages is likely to be impractical. It might make the privacy problems worse. Those activities tagged as HIPAA related will stand out.

Second, the outside address on a letter or package is not health information per se. It's the same distinction made between the content of a phone call and the pen register information used to route the call. The government can access pen register information under a lesser standard. Similarly with the information on the outside of a first class letter. Anyway, if an AIDS clinic is sending the item, it can use a return address that reveals nothing, and any problem goes away. Third, there are some activities that may be and should be beyond control. Anyone can stand outside an AIDS clinic and observe those who enter. There isn't much that HIPAA can do about it. Similarly, HIPAA allows an ER to announce publicly that John Doe is next. That's a practical concession, and it would be difficult to have a different approach. (However, in my view, a public sign in list at a doctor's office is a violation of HIPAA because it is easy to devise an alternative.) HIPAA is generally pretty good on the practical side of health care information use and disclosure. That's important so that privacy laws don't become an obstacle to routine activities.

Fourth, HIPAA allows the disclosure of health information without individual notice, without the need for authorization, and over the objection of the patient to a MULTITUDE of institutions. These include, among others, any law enforcement officer and any national security agency. The procedures that apply in these cases are laughable. In light of the gaping holes in confidentiality allowed by HIPAA, I can't get excited over the possibility of inferences from return addresses on envelopes. In any event, a patient who cares about this can probably object under HIPAA if a hospital uses a tracked package delivery service. See 164.522(b). Finally, if package deliverers or phone companies were actually compiling information about recipients and using that for dossiers or marketing, then I agree that the conduit concept would no longer work. In that case, a business associate agreement might be needed, but I think that this would be strongly resisted and very complicated. The better approach would be to use a different service that doesn't create the problem. At least, as long as that possibility existed.

Bob

--
+ + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + +
+ Robert Gellman       <bob () bobgellman com> +

Latanya Sweeney wrote:

Hi Bob,

At first glance, the wording in the FAQ may seem
out-dated in its approach and allow all conduits
to be free from consideration as a Business
Associate. I'm not sure that is their intention.
OCR may want to clarify or update
given today's technical reality. Here's what I mean.

When I think of UPS and the U.S. Postal Service
in historical context, these "conduits" have not had
access to the information inside the packages and
envelopes they handle. By OCR's own
statement, they envision "infrequent" and "random"
access.  Therefore, it stands to reason that these
conduit providers would not be considered
a Business Associate. But that's at historical glance.

In light of today's technology and evolving business
practices, these providers often maintain logs of
packages delivered when shipped via certain services.
A typical log includes shipper address, recipient
address, shipping date and package weight
on each package. These logs can pose privacy problems
that it seems a Business Associates agreement under
HIPAA could easily correct. Even the OCR's wording
may support a claim that these logs are covered by HIPAA
and require a Business Associates agreement
in some situations.

An example in the spirit of those that came earlier
is a log of recipients of packages shipped from a hospital's
AIDs support group, which operates under separate cover
and distinctive mailing address. If most of their packages
are to patients, then the log may support reliable
inferences about individuals at personal mailing addresses.

If asked, OCR may liken AT&T's phone service to UPS
and the U.S. Postal Service. But doing so across the board,
without the covered entity assessing the inferences that can
be drawn from the information they provide on the mailing label
(or other "conduit information"), may be unnecessarily
problematical. By OCR's own statement, they envision
"infrequent" and "random" access.  These logs capture all data
on all packages provided under these services. There is nothing
infrequent or random about them.

A simple test can be constructed as to whether ordinary
business conduits may be collecting information that would be
a HIPAA disclosure, and if so, the conduit could then be deemed
a Business Associate. On the other hand, if the conduit
information contained no such information,
then the conduit would not be a Business Associate.
Decisions would not be so sweeping as company x always
is or is not a covered entity. A particular determination
would consider the covered entity, the conduit service,
and the conduit information.

Under a Business Associates agreement, conduit providers
would have to control further releases of logs that
contain protected information.  Without a Business
Associates agreement, patients are left to the individual
and somewhat arbitrary privacy policies the companies
declare. I think we can do better than that.

--LS
Latanya Sweeney, Ph.D.
Director, Laboratory for International Data Privacy
Associate Professor of Computer Science, Technology and Policy
School of Computer Science

Carnegie Mellon University     Voice: (412)268-4484
1301 Wean Hall                       Fax:    (412)268-6561
Pittsburgh, PA 15213 USA     Email: latanya () privacy cs cmu edu
http://privacy.cs.cmu.edu/index.html
http://privacy.cs.cmu.edu/people/sweeney/