Interesting People mailing list archives

David Pogue: Reconsidering Bill Gates

From: David Farber <dave () farber net>
Date: Fri, 23 Jun 2006 08:37:16 -0400

Begin forwarded message:

From: Dewayne Hendricks <dewayne () warpspeed com>
Date: June 23, 2006 7:01:38 AM EDT
To: Dewayne-Net Technology List <dewayne-net () warpspeed com>
Subject: [Dewayne-Net] David Pogue: Reconsidering Bill Gates

[Note:  This item comes from friend John McMullen.  DLH]

From: "John F. McMullen" <observer () westnet com>
Date: June 22, 2006 3:24:19 PM PDT
To: "johnmac's living room" <johnmacsgroup () yahoogroups com>
Subject: David Pogue: Reconsidering Bill Gates

From the Desk of David Pogue: Reconsidering Bill Gates

A few days ago, the richest man in the world, Bill Gates, announced that he'd be stepping down from daily Microsoft activities in order to devote himself to the Bill and Melinda Gates Foundation. Through this foundation, Mr. Gates has said that he intends to give away 95 percent of his wealth. The foundation's primary interests are education, poverty and global health--saving the lives of the millions who die of preventable diseases, mostly in poor countries.

Now, as faithful readers know, I don't always find Microsoft's software-design work very impressive. And, under Mr. Gates's watch, Microsoft has done a lot of ruthless and sometimes sleazy things over the years. I'm not alone in having some mistrust of Microsoft's motives; one Google search for "Microsoft + evil" will convince you of that.

But until last week's announcement, I think I was in the same boat as a lot of people: I never really allowed myself to confront the apparent contradiction between Bill Gates, the merciless businessman with ambitions for world domination, and Bill Gates, the compassionate scientist whose goal is to save millions of lives.

A couple of years ago, Bill Moyers interviewed Mr. Gates on the subject of his global-health interests. You can read the transcript here (http://www.pbs.org/now/transcript/transcript_gates.html), but here's a sample that makes you realize the possibilities of putting money in the right places (this is Mr. Gates speaking):

"And there was one dinner after we'd given our first vaccination grant. I think it was $125 million. All these doctors came. And they thought, 'O.K., this is a dinner where I'm supposed to just say thank you, thank you. And, you know, try not to use the wrong fork or something.'

[snip]
-----

This week's Pogue's Posts blog:
<http://www.nytimes.com/technology/poguesposts/index.html?8cir&emc=cir>