Interesting People mailing list archives

more on Summary for Congress of proposed NN Act Proposal

From: David Farber <dave () farber net>
Date: Thu, 22 Jun 2006 11:10:53 -0400

Begin forwarded message:

From: Gerry Faulhaber <gerry-faulhaber () mchsi com>
Date: June 22, 2006 10:14:14 AM EDT
To: dave () farber net
Subject: Re: [IP] more on Summary for Congress of proposed NN Act Proposal

Sometimes I think that Bob Frankston is just way more advanced than I am;-) But after wading through it all, Bob is recommending "community ownership" of broadband infrastructure which is actually just another form of competitive entry. And of course I'm all for competitive entry. So, if this is such a great idea, how come it's not sweeping the country? In a sense, community ownership's opportunity is right now, with all the buzz about muni WiFi. But are mayors riding to easy re-election championing community broadband? Are the peasants marching on the castle with pitchforks demanding community broadband? Even here in Philadelphia, the poster child for muni WiFi, the public response has hardly been overwhelming.

I would certainly be in favor of it, should it actually be occurring. But if it is such a great idea, how come it is relatively rare? And, to paraphrase my earlier comment re: business plans, how come Bob (or other IPer) isn't at the forefront of a national coalition helping eager communities build their own infrastructure?

Professor Gerald R. Faulhaber
Business and Public Policy Dept.
Wharton School, University of Pennsylvania
Philadelphia, PA 19104
Professor of Law
University of Pennsylvania Law School

----- Original Message ----- From: "David Farber" <dave () farber net>