Interesting People mailing list archives

Akamai Sues Limelight Networks

From: David Farber <dave () farber net>
Date: Thu, 13 Jul 2006 18:16:49 -0400

Begin forwarded message:

From: Dewayne Hendricks <dewayne () warpspeed com>
Date: July 12, 2006 1:54:01 PM EDT
To: Dewayne-Net Technology List <dewayne-net () warpspeed com>
Subject: [Dewayne-Net] Akamai Sues Limelight Networks

[Note:  This item comes from friend Om Malik.  DLH]

Akamai Sues Limelight Networks
<http://gigaom.com/2006/07/11/akamai-sues-limelight-networks/>
In the words of Yogi Berra, its like déjà vu all over again. Back in the first Internet bubble, we were all entertained and amused by legal wranglings of various content delivery networks. For a while it was all quiet, but the fireworks are starting again. Limelight Networks, a Tempe, AZ.-based start-up that is quite the buzz amongst digital content players has been sued by old dog, Akamai Technologies and the Massachusetts Institute of Technology for patent infringements.

Chief executives of both companies, Paul Sagan Akamai and Bill Rinehart of Limelight have been contacted and we are waiting to hear from them about these lawsuits. Nevertheless, court documents show that, the lawsuit was filed in the US District Court in the State of Massachusetts in late June 2006. MIT and Akamai allege that Limelight is infringing on Patent # 6,108,703 and patent # 6,553,413. Both patents were issued to MIT and are licensed exclusively to Akamai.

[snip]
Weblog at: <http://weblog.warpspeed.com>