Interesting People mailing list archives

US Patriot Act and Charities

From: David Farber <dave () farber net>
Date: Wed, 12 Jul 2006 13:49:43 -0400

Begin forwarded message:

From: Sharron Batsch <sharron () batschgroup com>
Date: July 12, 2006 11:57:19 AM EDT
To: dave () farber net
Subject: US Patriot Act and Charities

Hi Dave,

I was reading the article you had posted by Karen Jackson ... and I was wondering if you can give me some input on a particular question.

We work with Charities ... we have privacy laws or requirements in Canada .... What is the impact of Charities that house their data with a US company that resides on US soil? We understand through a client of ours that any data that resides in the US is subject to scrutiny at the whim of the US government and they feel no obligation to inform the organization who's data is being reviewed.

This is my question:

If a charity houses its data in the US using a US provider, is it the fiduciary duty of the charity to inform their donors that they can no longer give a 100% guarantee of confidentiality?

Thank you for consideration in responding to my question.

Sharron Batsch