Interesting People mailing list archives

more on why should we ever trust corporation -- BP Named in Inquiry on Pricing - New York Times

From: David Farber <dave () farber net>
Date: Mon, 3 Jul 2006 07:58:07 -0400

Begin forwarded message:

From: "Faulhaber, Gerald" <faulhabe () wharton upenn edu>
Date: July 2, 2006 10:59:25 PM EDT
To: "Robert J. Berger" <rberger () ibd com>
Cc: Dewayne Hendricks <dewayne () warpspeed com>, David Farber <dave () farber net> Subject: RE: [IP] more on why should we ever trust corporation -- BP Named in Inquiry on Pricing - New York Times

Dark fiber as infrastructure; interesting.  Is lighting it a business?

My concerns about munis getting into this (or indeed any) business is that they absolutely will use their power over licenses, franchises, rights of way, etc. to block new entry/technology that they see as a threat to their own business (i.e., BB conduit). If we could pass a law saying "can't pass laws forbidding munis into Internet", I would go along only if we passed a law saying "munis cannot use their powers to behave anticompetitively." But try as I might, I can't write such a law that clever mayors can't easily get around. My fear is these guys get in on some technology (like wifi) and then when firms enter the city to offer fiber the city sees it as a threat to their (wifi) system and refuses to grant the fiber guys right of way to lay their fiber. In fact, cities are notorious for doing stuff exactly like this, and most folks don't even notice.

Incidentally, there is an interesting paper by Sappington and Sidak (forget where) that shows gov'ts that enter markets behave more anticompetitively than private firms. Maybe not what you want to hear, but think about it. Mayors are only human, too.

Professor Gerald Faulhaber
Business and Public Policy Dept.
Wharton School, University of Pennsylvania
Philadelphia, PA 19104
Professor of Law
University of Pennsylvania