Interesting People mailing list archives

more on Net neutrality and antitrust

From: David Farber <dave () farber net>
Date: Thu, 6 Jul 2006 15:03:59 -0400

Begin forwarded message:

From: Gerry Faulhaber <gerry-faulhaber () mchsi com>
Date: July 6, 2006 2:44:45 PM EDT
To: Charles Pinneo <pinneo () sbcglobal net>
Cc: dave () farber net
Subject: Re: [IP] Net neutrality and antitrust

No, MS purchased the Spyglass browser; they didn' t copy Netscape. And this is irrelevant to the point that indeed Sun and Netscape lobbied very hard and very long at the DoJ to get the Antitrust Div. to file the MS case. Previously, the FTC decided not to bring a case against MS, which is some evidence of the effectiveness of the Sun/ Netscape lobbying strategy at DoJ.

It is of no antitrust consequence that MS buys much of its innovative software, a strategy that many companies use. Pharma, for example, outsources virtually all its biotech stuff. Are we supposed to think this is an evil strategy? Not only am I not rewriting history, Charles, I am perfectly comfortable with MS's strategy here and I do not feel they or anyone else needs to apologize for it.

Professor Gerald R. Faulhaber
Business and Public Policy Dept.
Wharton School, University of Pennsylvania
Philadelphia, PA 19104
Professor of Law
University of Pennsylvania Law School