Interesting People mailing list archives

Can you be compelled to give a password? [was: Police Blotter: Laptop border searches OK'd]

From: David Farber <dave () farber net>
Date: Fri, 28 Jul 2006 14:26:59 -0400

Begin forwarded message:

From: "Patrick W. Gilmore" <patrick () ianai net>
Date: July 28, 2006 2:11:45 PM EDT
To: dave () farber net
Cc: "Patrick W. Gilmore" <patrick () ianai net>
Subject: Can you be compelled to give a password? [was: Police Blotter: Laptop border searches OK'd]

On Jul 28, 2006, at 1:32 PM, David Farber wrote:

I don't believe it is a crime in any US Federal or State law, or in Canadian law, to set passwords and use encryption. In the US, I believe that a warrant would be necessary for law enforcement to ask for your password, but I don't know if you have to comply. IANAL.

That is a good question - Can you be compelled to give up a password? Would you mind posting it to IP, I am interested in the answer.

Seems there might be some 'self-incriminatory' arguments here. Perhaps even an "unreasonable search" argument. But IANAL.

--
TTFN,
patrick