Interesting People mailing list archives

DO READ --- Quota system for Air Marshal Surveillance Detection Reports?

From: David Farber <dave () farber net>
Date: Wed, 26 Jul 2006 10:08:28 -0400

Begin forwarded message:

From: "Brock N. Meeks" <bmeeks () cox net>
Date: July 26, 2006 9:45:28 AM EDT
To: dave () farber net
Subject: Re: [IP] Quota system for Air Marshal Surveillance Detection Reports?

Well, it so happens that I was the one that BROKE this story... way back in 2004. There were at least two offices, Miami and Las Vegas that had this
quota system for writing up and filing "SDRs."

The requirement was totally renegade and NOT endorsed by Air Marshal
officials in Washington.  The Las Vegas Air Marshal field office was (I
think he's retired now) by a real cowboy at the time, someone that caused a lot of problems for the Washington HQ staff. (That official once grilled an Air Marshal for three hours in an interrogation room because he thought the air marshal was source of mine on another story. The air marshal was then taken off flight status and made to wash the office cars for two weeks... I broke that story, too. And no, the punished air marshal was never a source
of mine.)

Air marshals told they were filing false reports, as they did below, just to
hit the quota.

When my story hit, those in the offices of Las Vegas and Miami were
reprimanded and the practice was ordered stopped by Washington HQ.

I suppose the biggest question I have for this story is the HYPE of what
happens to these reports. They do NOT place the person mention on a "watch
list."  These reports, filed on Palm Pilot PDAs, go into an internal Air
Marshal database that is rarely seen and pretty much ignored by other
intelligence agencies, from all sources I talked to.

Why? Because the air marshals are seen as little more than "sky cops" and
these SDRs considered little more than "field interviews" that cops
sometimes file when they question someone loitering at a 7-11 too late at
night.

The quota system, if it is still going on, is heinous, but it hardly results
in the big spooky data collection scare that this cheapjack Denver
"investigative" TV reporter makes it out to be.

The quoted former field official from Atlanta, Don Strange, did, in fact,
lose his job over trying to chance internal policies.  He was the most
well-liked official among the rank and file and the Atlanta office, under
his command, had the highest morale in the nation.