Interesting People mailing list archives

more on As electronic medical records legislation advances, breaches draw scrutiny

From: David Farber <dave () farber net>
Date: Wed, 26 Jul 2006 07:39:39 -0400

Begin forwarded message:

From: "M. Sean Fosmire" <hatgem () gmail com>
Date: July 26, 2006 6:46:39 AM EDT
To: dave () farber net
Subject: Re: [IP] As electronic medical records legislation advances, breaches draw scrutiny

So far, none of the reports on this new bill have mentioned that there was a law passed in 1996 that supposedly addressed this issue, and that the Department of Health and Human Services enacted a massive set of new regulations in 2000, effective in 2003, all to "safeguard patient privacy". Ask any doctor what HIPAA means to his practice. Most likely, he will shake his head and walk away muttering.

In an article that I published in my law firm's newsletter in May 2003, I observed: As an expression of the irony that seems to permeate Federal law, the original goal of "simplifying the administration of health insurance" was accomplished by the adoption of the most massive and confusing set of regulations seen in health care in the last ten years – and that is saying quite a lot.
M. Sean Fosmire
hatgem () gmail com
Garan Lucow Miller, P.C.
Marquette, Michigan

On 7/25/06, David Farber <dave () farber net> wrote: Subject: As electronic medical records legislation advances, breaches
draw scrutiny

As the House of Representatives hammers out details about what federal
electronic medical records privacy policy (if any) should look like,
and whether it should trump stronger state laws,

( http://www.healthcareitnews.com/story.cms?id=5227  ). . .