Interesting People mailing list archives

Computing in schools

From: David Farber <dave () farber net>
Date: Tue, 4 Jul 2006 14:00:40 -0400

Begin forwarded message:

From: Victoria Davis <coolcatteacher () gmail com>
Date: July 4, 2006 8:22:52 AM EDT
To: dave () farber net
Subject: For IP: Computing in schools

Hello, Dave,

I am a computer science teacher and technology administrator at a private school in South Georgia and am responding to the critique of Tom Fairlie about the problems with America's public school systems.

I have a few points that I would like to add to an important discussion:

I am at a school with a strong classical educational curriculum AND a strong technology curriculum. We still diagram sentences AND we use the newest technologies such as wikis and blogs. Nothing could ever substitute for a good curriculum AND good teaching. Tools such as pen/paper and computer/keyboard are just the medium from which a good education is carried out. Almost all of our students are in the 90th percentile in all subjects and yet we use computers in every classroom. So, I would say effective computing complements a good education and in no way hinders it. If there are problems in public education, I certainly would not blame the technology. (Implementation may be poor but the technology is needed!)

However, I will say this. My classroom was transformed this past year using the new Internet, not by CPU upgrades. I have six year old Pentium III computers and used it to access tools such as wikis and blogs that actually improved student learning and helped them hone their writing skills. Most teachers at our schools get a new computer every six years also. So, you are right in that classrooms do not need the latest and greatest in order to teach effectively. However, they do need something.

Having many friends in public education, the problem is much larger than technology. America wants to "fix" education and so rather than "doing something" we have thrown money at the problem. Although, I am a private school teacher, I feel a comraderie with my public school counterparts and cooperate with them in projects and learn from them online. As a fellow teacher, we are kindred spirits in our desire to see kids learn and to see them transformed by the power of an education. Most of my friends work much longer hours than I, and yet spend their time on meaningless paperwork and fill out many forms to prove that they have effective lesson plans and align with state standards. All of this paperwork robs them of the energy and spark to be effective teachers in the classroom. Students of all learning types have been put in a classroom together and the teacher is expected to keep up a fast pace. And we could go on...

A 2003 study from the National Governor's Associate as quoted in Robert J. Marzano's pioneering research paper, The Right Work,

"school reform in the United States is plagued by the misperception
that schools fail because teachers and administrators don't work hard enough. He contends that the downfall of low performing schools is not their lack of effort and motivation; rather it is poor decisions regarding what to work on. Stated differently, the problem in low performing schools is not getting people to work hard, it is getting people
to do the "right work.""

So, yes, Tom Fairlie is right that many schools are not doing the "right work." That view is shown by the best researchers on the matter.

However, from my own experience at a school that is succeeding (albeit a private one), technology (specifically a good conduit to the Internet) is a vital part, although not the only part, of a good education. To blame the ills of public education on the implementation of technology is stretching it a little far. I have seen many great public school teachers who are transforming their classrooms through the effective use of technology. They should be emulated. The best tool for professional development for teachers is the reading of the vast array of incredible teaching blogs from excellent educators around the world!

Do not forget the power of transferrence. Students love technology. When you use technology EFFECTIVELY to teach a subject, the love of the technology CAN BE transferred to the subject. Adequate computing systems are simply a necessary tool in the toolbox of a good teacher and should NEVER be considered a replacement for a teacher.

Yes, the use of technology has been poorly implemented in many schools but so has reading, writing, and 'rithmetic. You don't stop teaching something because you're not doing well at it. You fix it! The effective use of technology to collaborate, communicate, and participate in an emerging global economy is a vital skill that we SHOULD be teaching America's students. If we do not teach it, we will fall further behind in the world class education we aim to teach our children.

Thank you for the opportunity to contribute
Victoria A Davis http://coolcatteacher.blogspot.com

--
Vicki Davis