Interesting People mailing list archives

Neighborhood Wireless Service (NWS)

From: David Farber <dave () farber net>
Date: Mon, 9 Jan 2006 09:09:20 -0500

Begin forwarded message:

From: Charles Pinneo <pinneo () sbcglobal net>
Date: January 9, 2006 9:08:00 AM EST
To: Dave Farber <dave () farber net>
Subject: Neighborhood Wireless Service (NWS)

Dave,

I know, there's no such thing as Neighborhood Wireless Service (NWS). But I have a friend down the street who says it would be fairly easy to set up a wireless network in our small development here in a suburb of Grand Rapids. He has cable wireless service and I have DSL. We both think we are paying way too much as costs for internet service come down. Who ever let the phone and cable guys decide to charge us through the nose for it? I thought the internet was supposed to be free.

2) If you can get free wireless in a coffee house or motel, why not set up a wireless system in our neighborhoods and cut out the middle man? SBC Yahoo keeps raising prices even though their costs are coming down. SBC (now AT&T) keeps sending me email with special offering DSL for $20 if we buy call forwarding to Antarctica ;-) or some other phone service we don't need. My wife and I pay $100 a month for phone service and DSL. I know, I'm the dope who bought their package deal. But they won't let you downgrade, only upgrade, because they're so slippery. And they keep switching these deals around. It's the old switcheroo.

3) Just for the heck of it I connected to somebody's NETGEAR in our neighborhood and got on the internet with no problem. Why can't we just create a neighborhood wireless service? Does anyone know a free thinking attorney who could answer this question from a legal point of view? What if everyone in the neighborhood started sharing DSL through a NETGEAR or an Apple Airport with an antenna in the attic? What if a lot of people all over the country started sharing? What could the Baby Bells do? Do they have that many attorneys to chase after us? Is there a loophole?

Charlie Pinneo
pinneo () sbcglobal net