Interesting People mailing list archives

more on Interesting New Service

From: David Farber <dave () farber net>
Date: Sun, 8 Jan 2006 19:58:43 -0500

Begin forwarded message:

From: Ross Stapleton-Gray <ross () stapleton-gray com>
Date: January 8, 2006 7:50:36 PM EST
To: dave () farber net
Subject: Re: [IP] Interesting New Service

At 02:16 PM 1/8/2006, Ken Deifik wrote:
There is a report that Toshiba is developing software that will allow
allow people to take a picture of the bar code label of many
products, send it to a related service and quickly receive back
information related to the product.

The data the service returns? From blogs. Yep, Toshiba will send back
summary information on how many blogs gave the product positive and
negative reviews. Related product information will also be displayed.

This is an application that's been evolving for over a decade; some background on the fundamentals and history of the space (going "from codes to content") is in a paper I wrote in late 2004 for CommerceNet: http://www.stapleton-gray.com/cgi-bin/redirect.cgi/http:// zlab.commerce.net/wiki/images/8/8e/CN-TR-04-06.pdf
or http://tinyurl.com/c8fks

A number of scan-a-barcode-get-content plays were born and died during the dot-com boom; Dave Mathews, of CueCat fame, still holds some patents in this area, and a lot of aging data, and is looking for interested parties (if anyone is interested, e-mail me for contact info).

Scanning of 2-D codes with cell cameras has been happening for some time in Japan, and it's not much of a stretch to imagine parsing out 1-D UPC and EAN codes similarly.

The paper above talks about both "primary" information (e.g., information from the manufacturers, the "code owners") and ideas for markets for 3rd-party information (a la Toshiba's blog sources), suggesting that reliance on product codes as unique identifiers could standardize processes to the point of allowing, say, commercial syndication of product reviews by smaller parties; pooling, sharing and sale of "customers who bought X also bought Y" data by smaller retailers; and a variety of other services. While I agree that 3rd- party data is interesting (I *do* want to know that 90% of the people who bought widgets prefer Acme brand widgets, and want to talk about it), it's pretty surprising that primary information is nowhere near as accessible as it could be, given all the demand, e.g., by smaller and particularly Internet-based retailers.

The research paper also addresses why what's happening with the infrastructure for RFID is very important to this space... for the first time, there's a "root" of sorts for product code-keyed information, independent of any commercial service like the failed dot-coms, or Toshiba.

Ross

----
Ross Stapleton-Gray, Ph.D.
Stapleton-Gray & Associates, Inc.