Interesting People mailing list archives

more on AP Story Justice Dept. Probing Domestic Spying Leak

From: David Farber <dave () farber net>
Date: Sun, 1 Jan 2006 18:16:21 -0500

Begin forwarded message:

From: Brock Meeks <Brock.Meeks () msnbc com>
Date: January 1, 2006 5:44:17 PM EST
To: dave () farber net
Subject: RE: [IP] more on AP Story Justice Dept. Probing Domestic Spying Leak

While I agree with you in spirit, Mike, that truth is the Executive
Branch of our government has treated this section of the Constitution as
if it were a rough draft.

President after president have thumbed their noses at the congressional
power to approve being "at war."

And of course, we are "at war," against terrorism and in no less a
quagmire as the infamous "war on drugs."

We have never had a national debate about what it means to be "at war"
against terrorism.  The White House marshaled its forces against
terrorism and cobbled together a great amount of power in those first
breathless and emotional months directly following 9/11.

There were some congressional hearings, yes, but these were largely
rubber stamp hearings.  I vividly remember then Attorney General
Ashcroft out and out saying that anyone... ANYONE that did not believe
the Patriot Act was a good thing was essentially a terrorist; that
anyone even QUESTIONING the moves Bush wanted to make was a terrorist.

The message of the day:  "If you are not for us you are against us and
if you are against us it is because you are harboring or supporting
terrorists."

Of course this argument was only selectively employed at the convenience
of President Cheney, er... Bush.  Because when it came to other rogue
nations, such as North Korea (a country that AHEM, actually HAS nuclear
weapons) Bush simply sat around paying the geopolitical equivalent of
pocket pool.