Interesting People mailing list archives

more on Data mining of Amazon wishlists

From: David Farber <dave () farber net>
Date: Sun, 8 Jan 2006 15:54:49 -0500

Begin forwarded message:

From: Kate <kate () pulpculture org>
Date: January 8, 2006 3:16:35 PM EST
To: dave () farber net
Subject: Re: [IP] Data mining of Amazon wishlists

Years ago, I was doing a presentation, to explain to corporate users how easily people could find out information about them by searching on @corporation.com to find corporate users who'd used the address for personal pages, forums, archived discussion lists, and so forth. This was years ago when corporations hadn't clamped down as much as they do today, still uncertain whether to play hardball with employees (and also when they economy was roaring, so they weren't interested in being overly dictatorial.

We got talking about mistaken identities and I showed them that it wasn't always safe to assume anything with just a name (or anything else for that matter). At that point, I used the name of a friend since everyone always got a kick out of the fact that, if you searched on his name, you get everything from horse trainer to priest. Doing that led me to his Amazon Wish list. (I bought him something for the fun of it since, from the content and the address, it was clear that this was who it was.)

I also immediately made sure my Wish List wasn't publicly viewable any longer. I really don't wish to have strangers knowing my personal taste in merchandise -- at least not then, and especially not given the business I was in at the time.

Kate

"You know how it is, come for the animal porn,
stay for the cultural analysis." -- Michael Berube

Bitch | Lab
http://blog.pulpculture.org