Interesting People mailing list archives

more on Welcome to Mars express: only a three hour trip

From: David Farber <dave () farber net>
Date: Sun, 8 Jan 2006 13:31:32 -0500

Begin forwarded message:

From: "Steven M. Bellovin" <smb () cs columbia edu>
Date: January 8, 2006 1:27:18 PM EST
To: dave () farber net
Subject: Re: [IP] Welcome to Mars express: only a three hour trip

An interesting article, but note this from the Register's article
(http://www.theregister.co.uk/2006/01/06/hyperdrive/):

        So far so good - in theory. However, as NS notes: "The
        majority of physicists have never heard of Heim theory,
        and most of those contacted by New Scientist said they
        couldn't make sense of Dröscher and Häuser's description
        of the theory behind their proposed experiment."

        Furthermore, Dröscher and Häuser's proposed practical
        experiment to prove their theory requires "a magnetic coil several
        metres in diameter capable of sustaining an enormous current
        density" - something which the majority of engineers say
        is "not feasible with existing materials and technology".

I'd love it if it worked, but I'm not buying my Mars tickets yet.