Interesting People mailing list archives

more on : Telco's Arrogant Stand on Content

From: David Farber <dave () farber net>
Date: Sat, 7 Jan 2006 18:25:45 -0500

Begin forwarded message:

From: Fritz Mills <fritz () fritzmills com>
Date: January 7, 2006 5:58:03 PM EST
To: dave () farber net
Subject: Re: [IP] more on : Telco's Arrogant Stand on Content

I don't have any problem with the notion of paying for Quality of Service, but I think the argument, as it's been presented so far, is completely confused. First, the statement quoted below from Budde makes no sense. Google, Vonage, and others do not use the internet for free. Like everyone else, they pay for access and they pay for the bandwidth they use. They may not pay SBC, but that is beside the point. I, on the other hand, am a customer of SBC, and I pay them for access to the internet, and I pay for a certain amount of bandwidth (throughput). I may or may not choose to use my access to connect to Google or to use Vonage's services, but the point is, that *I* am their customer, not Google or Vonage, and if they want to charge me more to guarantee a certain level of quality of service for some or all of my internet access needs, that's something we can negotiate, but that has nothing to do with Google. Conversely, even if I do choose to use my access to visit Google, It is because I have paid SBC for the bandwidth to do so. Google has paid their provider for the bandwidth to accept my visit, but they should have no obligation to pay SBC as well.

To put it in terms that perhaps the telcos can better understand: If I pick up my telephone and make a call to Google, I must pay my telco for my phone line and telephone service, and Google must pay their telco to provide the telephone service that allows them to answer my call, but there is no obligation on the part of Google to pay my telco, too. Nor is it true in that situation that Google has "used [my telco's] pipes for free."

Begin forwarded message: