Interesting People mailing list archives

more on Hidden dangers in "free" air tickets

From: David Farber <dave () farber net>
Date: Sat, 7 Jan 2006 16:55:55 -0500

Begin forwarded message:

From: Johan <johan () ccs neu edu>
Date: January 7, 2006 3:05:40 PM EST
To: dave () farber net
Cc: ip () v2 listbox com, plevy () citizen org
Subject: Re: [IP] Hidden dangers in "free" air tickets

Paul Levy writes:

About a month ago, on one such call, I learned really by happenstance that the evening flight DOWN to Santiago was no leaving an hour earlier, so that the connecting flight we were taking to Toronto would not get us there in time so make the connection. But nobody had bothered to let us know of this change.

That is very strange indeed, unless you bought the two tickets separately, in which case the airline wouldn't be able to track them.

> So, we  get
to Toronto and learn the truth -- it is not that seats are to be assigned day of travel, but they have oversold the flight and even though WE made our reservations in February, oddly enough WE are the ones who have no seats and we have to hope that enough people don't show up so that we can take our vacation.

> In the end, we did get on the plane, and we had a wonderful vacation;
> but the experience left a bitter tatse in our mouths about US Airways
> and Air Canada.

Alas, that is how most airilines work, not just those two; there is a well defined seniority ordering of who gets kicked off the plane if it is too full, and unfortunately, how well in advance you made your reservation has no impact on that. First class passengers trump economy, full fare trumps lower fare, low fare trumps free tickets, premium frequent fliers trump non-premiums, and unaccompanied minors trump everyone but the pilot.

It used to be that the gate agents had alot of discretion over who to kick and who to upgrade, but like so many other fields, this is being increasingly regulated by codifed and verifed policies.

Johan