Interesting People mailing list archives

Hidden dangers in "free" airtickets

From: David Farber <dave () farber net>
Date: Thu, 5 Jan 2006 15:04:54 -0500

Begin forwarded message:

From: "Kobrin, Steve" <kobrins () wharton upenn edu>
Date: January 5, 2006 9:01:05 AM EST
To: David Farber <dave () farber net>
Subject: Hidden dangers in "free" airtickets

The development of interlinked airline groups such as Star Alliance provides an opportunity to use “free” miles-based tickets to get to places that your primary carrier does not serve, which is a real benefit. However, using these networks also entails none too obvious risks. We went to Prague from Philly over the winter break using business class tickets obtained for miles from USAIR. The flight return flight from Prague to Frankfort and then Frankfort to Philly was on Lufthansa. When we called Lufthansa to reconfirm our return trip, we were told that the flight had been “cancelled” and that we were rebooked for the next day. (Lufthansa had never tried to get in touch with us even though USAIR has my cell phone number.) I told the agent that we needed to get back as scheduled and would be happy to fly to Frankfurt the night before, or if necessary, go via train. She replied that going the night before was not an option as they “could not” reissue a USAIR ticket and, in any event, the Frankfurt – Philly flight was now fully booked. (USAIR does not operate out of Prague.) I called USAIR in Germany and while they could not do anything about the Prague – Frankfurt leg without local operations, they saved the day booking us on their flight from Frankfurt on the 31st . We both love European trains so the ride from Prague through Dresden to Frankfurt was not a hardship – although it took the better part of a day.

Now for the kicker. When I checked the Lufthansa Prague- Frankfurt flight (on the 31st) on their website it turns out that it was not cancelled -- just an hour late. The fact the intercontinental flight was suddenly full in business class makes me wonder if Lufthansa simply bumped us (we were on USAIR miles after all) for two paying customers.

They might argue that we had free business class tickets and the risk of a delay is the price you pay. However, the moral of the story is that there is a real risk in using mileage-based tickets in an alliance network. The risk is getting stuck someplace where you primary carrier does not operate and you are left dependent on an alliance partner – to whom you are not a frequent flyer – for resolution of a problem. We were lucky that we had some flexibility and could get to Frankfurt ourselves.

To be clear, I think that Lufthansa’s behavior was outrageous. That, however, is another matter.

Steve