Interesting People mailing list archives

more on sad but true -- Michael Berube on threats to academic freedom

From: David Farber <dave () farber net>
Date: Tue, 31 Jan 2006 15:59:10 -0500

Begin forwarded message:

From: Harvey Silverglate <has () harveysilverglate com>
Date: January 31, 2006 3:30:23 PM EST
To: dave () farber net, ip () v2 listbox com
Subject: RE: [IP] Michael Berube on threats to academic freedom

Michael Berube tells only half the story. The other half of the story is
that for the past 25 years, the academic left has blithely gone about the
task of destroying the fundamental pillars of academic freedom in higher
education by implementing a regime characterized by speech codes to protect "historically disadvantaged groups" and kangaroo courts to "try" (actually, to "convict") students who had the audacity to say something that "offended"
a student or group of students with a hair-trigger sensitivity. Even
academic courses have been politicized, and I've known (and in some cases represented) many students who were penalized for expressing a point of view different from the "prevailing wisdom" on the campus (also coinciding with
the point-of-view of the politicized instructor). As a political liberal
with a deep belief in academic freedom, due process, and free speech, I've been warning the academic left that someday the political worm would turn and, having destroyed the modalities of liberty on campus, their own freedom
would soon be under attack. That worm is indeed turning as the country's
radical turn to the right is being seen on college campuses, more obvious on some campuses than on others. The academic left is now being forced to sleep
in the bed that it has made. It is very sad, but fully predictable. I've
written about this (along with my friend, colleague and co-author Prof. Alan Charles Kors of the University of Pennsylvania) in our 1998 book, THE SHADOW UNIVERSITY: THE BETRAYAL OF LIBERTY ON AMERICA'S CAMPUSES (HarperPerennial paperback, 1999). For examples of the now bi-partisan assault on academic
freedom, see the Website of the foundation that Prof. Kors and I created
after publishing out book, The Foundation for Individual Rights in
Education, www.thefire.org.
                                                Harvey Silverglate,
Cambridge, MA