Interesting People mailing list archives

more on EFF Fights for Bloggers' Rights

From: David Farber <dave () farber net>
Date: Tue, 31 Jan 2006 15:56:48 -0500

Begin forwarded message:

From: Jonathan Goldstein <jonathan.goldstein () gmail com>
Date: November 21, 2005 5:37:38 PM EST
To: dave () farber net
Subject: Re: [IP] more on EFF Fights for Bloggers' Rights

Dave,

I think its important to clear up the common misconception that there is some private "right" to free speech in the United States.

The First Amendment is a power under the federal Constitution to be free of interference from the federal government. It protects against federal GOVERNMENTAL speech regulation. Other provisions of the federal Constitution impose First Amendment obligations not to interfere with speech on each of the 50 states as well.

It is not a power that private, non-governmental parties invoke against one another.

If you and I are private parties and we have a contract for you to use my systems and I write into that contract that you can't use my systems to say bad things about me, then I have a right to enforce that contract provision against you.

The First Amendment is not implicated.

--
Jonathan Goldstein, Esq.