Interesting People mailing list archives

The Semantics Of Evil

From: David Farber <dave () farber net>
Date: Sat, 28 Jan 2006 19:18:57 -0500

Begin forwarded message:

From: GLIGOR1 () aol com
Date: January 28, 2006 2:59:00 PM EST
To: dave () farber net
Subject: For IP: The Semantics Of Evil

The Semantics of EvilCategories: Reporter's Notepad

Bill Gates and Eric Schmidt
The chiefs of Microsoft and Google traded barbs on a panel Friday afternoon. They were discussing Google's decision to enter China with a self-censored search function.

Speaking about the Google credo "Don't be evil" CEO Eric Schmidt explained how the company weighed the decision to self-censor in China for more than a year before making the decision.

"We even made an evil scale and decided it was more evil not to go in than to go in," Schmidt said.

On hearing that, Microsoft CEO Bill Gates muttered into his microphone: "That's do less evil."

In response, Schmidt said: "I don't want to get caught up in semantics."

Posted by Thomas Crampton on January 27, 2006 06:19 PM (Paris)

http://blogs.iht.com/tribtalk/business/?th&emc=th