Interesting People mailing list archives

Message From the NASA Administrator - Day of Remembrance

From: David Farber <dave () farber net>
Date: Thu, 26 Jan 2006 16:34:39 -0500

Begin forwarded message:

From: Tice DeYoung <ticed () bellatlantic net>
Date: January 26, 2006 1:59:30 PM EST
To: dave () farber net
Cc: ticed () bellatlantic net
Subject: Fwd: Message From the Administrator - Day of Remembrance

Dave,

For IP, if you wish. This email message from the NASA Administrator to the NASA family is something that should be shared with others.

Tice

Date: Thu, 26 Jan 2006 09:27:29 -0500 (EST)
From: NASA_INC <NASA_INC () hq nasa gov>
Sender: owner-headquarters () spinoza public hq nasa gov

Point of Contact: Dean Acosta, Public Affairs, (202) 358-1400

NASA's Day of Remembrance

Today we pause to remember the loss of our Apollo 1, Challenger and Columbia astronauts, and to honor their legacy. To this end, I will visit Arlington
National Cemetery to lay a wreath in their memory.

Nearly fifty years into the space age, spaceflight remains the pinnacle of human challenge, an endeavor just barely possible with today's technology. We at NASA are privileged to be in the business of learning how to do it, to extend the frontier of the possible, and ultimately to make the possible routine. It is an enormously difficult enterprise, made more so by the fact that we are human beings, and flawed. The losses we commemorate today are a mute and terrible reminder of the sternness of the challenge, and of awful
consequences of our flaws.
It has always been this way. We celebrate Lindbergh as the first to fly
non-stop from New York to Paris. But he wasn't the first to try. Chuck
Yeager made history as the pilot who broke the "sound barrier." He wasn't
the first to try, either. School children are taught of Magellan's
pioneering voyage around the world. But only one of his five ships and 18 of the roughly 250 original sailors completed the voyage. Magellan himself didn't make it back; he was killed in the Philippines. About half of the settlers who set out on the Oregon Trail, or for the California gold fields, didn't make it. Amelia Earhart didn't make it. Today is the day we remember,
and honor, those of our own who didn't make it back.

And how do we remember, and honor, them? No one has ever said it better than Abraham Lincoln at Gettysburg: "It is for us, the living ... that we here highly resolve that these dead shall not have died in vain." And just as we fly safely today because of the lessons learned from the loss of earlier generations of aviators, so also is spaceflight safer because of the losses we remember at this time of the year. The spacecraft fire hazards and the bolted hatch that killed the Apollo 1 crew will not kill another. The solid rocket booster that was responsible for the loss of Challenger is today the most reliable space transportation element we have. And the devastating effects of seemingly harmless debris upon Columbia are forever emblazoned on
our consciousness. These are mistakes that will not be made again.

But as we remember those who have fallen, we must also honor them by
acknowledging, humbly, that they cannot be the last. We have not made our
last mistake in learning the art and science of spaceflight. There are
places in Arlington Cemetery, and elsewhere, waiting for others who have yet to pay the ultimate price for our human failings. We do not know who, or why, or when, but it will come. We pray, today, that it will be a very long
time. Let us on this Day of Remembrance honor our lost companions by
resolving to make it so.

Michael Griffin
NASA Administrator

This notice is being transmitted by NASA INC in the Office
of Public Affairs. For more information on NASA INC products
and services, mailto:NASA_INC () hq nasa gov or visit the
NASA INC Web page at
http://insidenasa.nasa.gov/nasa_nas/ops/NASA_INC/index.html