Interesting People mailing list archives

more on Huge virus threat rocks Microsoft

From: David Farber <dave () farber net>
Date: Tue, 3 Jan 2006 18:15:28 -0500

Begin forwarded message:

From: Bob Frankston <Bob2-19-0501 () bobf frankston com>
Date: January 3, 2006 5:40:29 PM EST
To: dave () farber net, ip () v2 listbox com
Subject: RE: [IP] Huge virus threat rocks Microsoft

This is a serious problem -- worse if it affects embedded systems.

But I'm afraid to install the patch because I don't know exactly what it
does. I may do it anyway.

There are more detailed discussions as at
http://www.aota.net/forums/showthread.php?p=143062.

It emphasizes the need to deinstall the patch before installing Microsoft's fix -- this may be problematic for those with automatic updating enabled.

I have no simple solution for these kinds of problems -- but it's not just a computer problem. I'm still waiting for law enforcement organizations to
play a more visible role even if only as a deterrence.

Is the NSA too busy mining data to track down more immediately threats -- at least if the miscreants are in other countries which is highly likely.