Interesting People mailing list archives

more on WORTH READING more on worth reading "A Piece of the Action"

From: "David Farber" <dave () farber net>
Date: Mon, 23 Jan 2006 14:23:27 -0500

-----Original Message-----
From: pi.20.stripes () antichef com [mailto:pi.20.stripes () antichef com]
Sent: Monday, January 23, 2006 1:33 PM
To: dave () farber net
Cc: Louis A. Mamakos
Subject: Re: [IP] WORTH READING more on worth reading "A Piece of the
Action"

[...]
We wanted to enable competitive and wholesale opportunities for ISP
access here as well; UUNET had been tremendously successful
building a wholesale V.90 dial-up access network, and we wanted to
enable that same capability here.  The key to making this work was
enable the ability to delegate the authentication for the customer
wanting access; with PPP we did this at UUNET by inventing the
RADIUS proxy and forwarding the authentication requests to our
third-party wholesale customers by a simple syntactic examination
of the principle name being authenticated (e.g., UU/louie or
louie () UU NET or louie () MSN COM.  We never did UU!louie which would
have been a great inside joke!)        [...]

FYI, this part isn't 100% accurate.  I'm fairly sure that when I
wrote UUNET's RADIUS proxy there was at least one other existing
RADIUS proxy.  Both of the realm formats "REALM/user" and
"user@REALM" were documented as being in use outside of UUNET (and
UUNET's proxy only did the "REALM/user" for a few years).

What UUNET (well a UUNET employee, specifically me) did invent is the
RADIUS Proxy-State attribute.  I think the only difference between
what I invented to fit UUNETs needs and what eventually made it into
the RFC is they used 33 as the attribute number and I used something
like 147 or so.

As for all the PPPoE stuff, I was there too (doing the interim hack
that tided us over until PPPoE was ready), and agree with Louie.
PPPoE has a lot of flexibility that never got used.  I think partly
because the flat rate thing caught on, so there was no real need for
a single home to have two ISPs on one DSL line, and partly because
some of the things it solved NAT boxes also "solved" (I want my
printer shared on my local network, but not so much to the internet
as a whole).  We also did truly think path MTU discovery would work,
and unlike the people who made the ethernet VLAN spec we didn't have
the ability to increase the size of the ethernet frame.
--
Josh Osborne
The opinions stated above (and below) do not necessarily reflect