Interesting People mailing list archives

: SiliconValley.com - Good Morning Silicon Valley Google Cube

From: David Farber <dave () farber net>
Date: Tue, 3 Jan 2006 16:53:47 -0500

Begin forwarded message:

Frankly, we hadn't thought of it until Cringely brought it up: Robert X. Cringely is going to be beside himself if this rumor pans out. Last November, the PBS columnist in one of his typically fantastical exercises in speculation, posited the existence of a "Google Cube" -- a piece of hardware that would not only offer users plug-and-play VoIP, but allow them to move songs, videos and other digital files between media devices as well. Now investment house Bear Stearns is claiming Google is working on just such a device and the L.A. Times, in a 2006 predictions piece, is reporting the company will show off a low-priced PC or other gadget that connects to the Internet at the Consumer Electronics Show (CES) in Las Vegas this week. Sources tell the Times that the machine will run an operating system created by Google, cost a couple of hundred dollars and be sold at big-box retailers like Wal-Mart. An announcement like this seems a bit unlikely to me. The company's mission doesn't quite account for a device like this. And beyond that: Google and Wal-Mart? Still, Larry Page, Google's co-founder and president of products, is scheduled to deliver a keynote address Friday at CES. Given the conference's focus, it is conceivable that he might use the opportunity to uncrate some sort of a Google computing appliance. We'll be, if not on the edge of our seat, at least leaning forward.
Comment on this post