Interesting People mailing list archives

more on Op-ed: Ideologues at the lectern

From: David Farber <dave () farber net>
Date: Sun, 22 Jan 2006 15:37:33 -0500

Begin forwarded message:

From: "Jim O'Donnell" <cassiodorus () gmail com>
Date: January 22, 2006 3:12:13 PM EST
To: dave () farber net
Subject: Re: [IP] Op-ed: Ideologues at the lectern

Dave, a question for the stats snipped below from your earlier post.
If this information is relevant to anything, what would the *correct*
numbers be?  That is, if we are to impose quotas on our faculty
construction, what is the goal?  100% conservative?  Because
conservatives have an exclusive lock on truth?  50/50 balance?  And
what would be the argument for that?  Is it that the opinions that
express themselves on a left-right spectrum are all in fact morally
and factually relative and neutral and so they should all be equally
represented?  Percentage of votes in last presidential election?
Well, that's pretty close to 50/50 now that I think about it, but if
you used that criterion, you'd be saying that truth is a function of
an opinion poll.

I'm trying to get at the logic, if any, that underlies the complaint.
Here's the counterlogic:  if belief in a scientific process of
evolution is a "left" characteristic and creationism or ID is a
"right" characteristic, then as a devotee of the truth, I would like
to see 100% of faculty showing that "left" characteristic.  The
evolution gang happens to be right, no way around it.

What's interesting is the extent to which a version of moral and
intellectual relativism is deeply implicit in the most ardent
right-wing attacks on the political makeup of the academy.  Doesn't
get enough attention.

Jim O'Donnell -- from my private address, not speaking for anybody else here.