Interesting People mailing list archives

more on Earthlink IPv6 in the Home

From: David Farber <dave () farber net>
Date: Tue, 3 Jan 2006 13:04:23 -0500

Begin forwarded message:

From: Lee Revell <rlrevell () joe-job com>
Date: January 3, 2006 12:57:17 PM EST
To: dave () farber net
Cc: ip () v2 listbox com, dewayne () warpspeed com, Suresh Ramasubramanian <suresh () hserus net>
Subject: Re: [IP] more on Earthlink IPv6 in the Home

While it's an open question as to whether Sveasoft is violating the
letter of the GPL (they probably are not) they are certainly violating
its spirit.  Basically they don't prohibit redistribution of the source
(this would be a clear GPL violation) but they terminate your
subscription if you redistribute it.

This is understandably offensive to many free software developers, as
they may not be violating the GPL but they certainly demonstrate
contempt for it.  Basically they are saying to Linux developers "we'd
prefer to just steal your IP but our lawyers don't think we can get away
with it".

Lee